Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fried Catfish Southern Style! UM UM GOOD!!!

What is Memphis famous for besides great BBQ?  Their Catfish!  Now, I am not a fan of fish, so when Nate suggested eating catfish for lunch vice BBQ in BBQ country I was a little hesitant to say the least.  Mary and I both shared a look of concern as we headed out to Catfish Tavern which was recommended by the locals who claimed they had the best catfish in town.  As we pulled up to this remote restaurant, the lot was almost full (a good sign of a great restaurant).  As we got out of the car we then noticed that the restaurant wasn't even open yet.  Catfish Tavern wasn't scheduled to open for 30 minutes, yet the parking lot was already full of eager customers.  This had to be a great sign, and Mary and I's hesitation of catfish quickly vanished at the sight.  I decided to order a combo platter of fried catfish, fried chicken tenders, and fried shrimp, that was served with a side of fries, and fried Okra, and of course some southern sweet tea.  All I can really say is wow!!!  The seafood was so fresh, I assume it was caught only minutes before hitting the fryer.  The fry batter used was packed with so much flavor, that I felt it a crime to use any sauce at all on this food.  Mary and I were very pleased with the fish, and I was surprised that Memphis now represents the best BBQ AND Catfish!  My only sadness comes with the knowledge that we will never find catfish like this up north!  Oh yeah, not to mention the sadness in knowing that we didn't drink enough sweet tea!  GOT TO LOVE THE SOUTH!

No comments:

Post a Comment